Today I spent some time to upgrade my shopping website from Magento CE 1.8 to Magento CE 1.9. In order to upgrade I first tried to do the upgrade on my own in my localhost under XAMPP and I am sharing the same in this blog.
1. Latest Magento Package. Magento 1.9 was the latest at this point in time.
2. SSH connection to production server to download the production magento database
3. XAMPP setup up and running
Step 1 – Setup your Localhost
1. Go to http://www.magentocommerce.com/download and download the Magento 1.9 CE version in ZIP format
2. Create a folder called ‘mag19’ under localhost xampp folder
3. Unzip the downloaded Magento 1.9 ZIP file and uncompress inside ‘mag19’ folder
4. Open PhpMyadmin and create a database called ‘mag19db’